Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Greek Buildings

I have taken various Greek classes, and if my memory serves me, this is the first example of a peristyle collinade on any building in the Greek world. This drawing of a structure is the Heroon at Lefkandi. The columns are wooden, and support a thatched roofing structure. The date is sometime around 1000-800 B.C.E. for the building. Wikipedia has more information, all though it is limited in comparison to what I was taught in my class, and I do not wish to post it all since this thread is about imitation Greek architecture, not real Greek architecture!





I have various examples of Greek styles throughout my neighborhood. All I had to do was go up and down 2-3 streets and take pictures while I drove. The columns and the roof styles point towards Greek-styled houses. Some are more obvious than others, since some encompass the entire house while some have columns only on the porch.





























The Buffalo Museum of Science is aonther example of the Greek Style of architecture. ALl though it really is only found in the columns, the Greek influence is there.

I'll start with the most obvious piece of Greek architecture found on UB's campus. I know that it isn't a full building, or anything close to a collapsed building even, but it is very Greek-like.







The next building is the albright knox art gallery in Buffalo. I know that many other people have posted this, as well as my next example, but it still is appropriate I feel. Its overwhelming impact on the Buffalo area makes it deserve to be in every post. If I remember correctly, it was built for the Pan-Am festival? Does anyone know for sure? I think they needed a more permanant and fire resistant building to house the priceless pieces of art. It is also very reminiscent of the buildings in Washington D.C. The columns as well as the roofing style show the Greek influences.



No comments:

Post a Comment