Tuesday, February 17, 2009

What Style Is It?

This has been one of the hardest assignments I have ever done, so I hope my work has equated to adequtely labelled houses!
Prairie Style. The long style house as well as the dark and light contrast on the outside of the building made it look like a Prairie style.

Greek Revival. The columns that are on both sides of the main entrance as well ast he big windows and the roofing structure (entablature?).


French Colonial. The steep roof, the big front porch, the wooden beam porch, and the windows (espeically the third floor with the peaked top to them). Also, the centrally located chimney.



Bungalow. Gabled roof facing the street. The porch that spans the middle front of the house, as well as the battered front porch piers.




Second Renaissance Revival. The main difference between the bottom floor and the floors above it, as well as the style of the roof made me think of the second renaissance revival style. Also, the inclusion of gateways and arched openings made it stand out.



Unknown. It really feels like this should be something, and after reading Blumenson I really feel like this can be classified somewhere. I just cannot figure out what it is. Does anyone have any idea or any clue? I am at a loss and it is seriously bothering me.
Anyone else have trouble using and understanding the terms in the Blumenson book? I stumbled over several and had to google many just to understand what they were talking about. Overall, I hope I did a good job and would like any comments if anyone agrees or disagrees with my choices.

1 comment:

  1. Why don't real houses ever fit what the damn books say?! It makes it really confusing! Builders and homeowners mix up styles and refuse to follow the rules.

    ReplyDelete