Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Cape Cods, Ranches, and Split Levels, Oh My!

1
2

3


4

5

6

7

The pictures above show the different housing styles for the second blog assignment: Split level, cape cod, and ranch. Pictures 1-3 Show Split level, 4 and 5 show ranches, and 6 and 7 show Cape Cods. I took these houses from my neighborhood, and many of you have probably passed these to and from school. The two ranches and two cap cods are on North Forest Road near West Klein, and one of them is my family's (can you guess which one?)!
The split level house is recongizeable because of the two rows of windows next to the front door, and it looks like the front door is on neither level. I have grown up visitng friends in these houses, and I have been in and out of split levels for my entire life. These houses do have a basement, but they are usually lower or only on the half of the house that is higher up. Usually the bed rooms are on the upper part of the house (above the garage usually) and have many small and compact staircases.
The ranch house is the style of house that I have lived in and grown up in for my entire life. I do not know if they are all normally made out of brick, but both houses I have here are made all out of brick. The yellow house was built in the late 1950's (property bought 1952, built before 1960). The brown ranch was built in 1982. They are characteristic for only having one floor and having an attached garage. They usually have simple floor plans and valted ceilings (the room I am in now has a ceiling that goes up to the top of the house, and looks like it should have a second floor). The roofs of these houses usually overhang the edge of the walls further than most normal houses.
Cape cod houses (6 and 7) are characteristic for their very simplistic housing plan, usually only consisting of a one floor or one and a half floor design. From what I can tell, the houses are usually sided like number 6. I believe number 7 is a cape cod, but I do not know why it has brick. Many examples that I found online also had the same windows for the upstairs that number 6 had. The floorplan usually centered around the hall and the parlor.

No comments:

Post a Comment